Friday, July 21, 2006

Harp Camp



































Picture 1: Danielle & me

Picture 2: Lunch time!

Pictures 3 & 5: The majority of the girls playing during our ensemble practice.

Picture 4: Brittany, my awesome partner

Picture 6: Me playing harp

This past week I attended harp camp which was taught by friend Hannah Malone. Some of the things I learned included:

--Playing harp for 2 1/2 hours a day non-stop can stiffen your back and produce callouses
--Hymns and Celtic songs on the harp
--I have a short thumb (which God made for a purpose)
--The harp sound is soothing just as David and Saul found it: "So it came about whenever the evil spirit from God came to Saul, David would take the harp and play it with his hand; and Saul would be refreshed and be well, and the evil spirit would depart from him." (1 Samuel 16:23 NASB)

Having no experience on the harp whatsoever, I made tons of mistakes and sometimes that was discouraging, but like I learned in the Bible study which we had each day, God wants us to do our best and give however much we have to give whether it's just a tiny bit or a whole lot. Fortunately, Hannah was very patient with me, and although I'm still a long way off from ever performing at Carnegie Hall, I'm striving to glorify God in what I have to offer.

~Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment